Monday, December 5, 2011

Excited and Looking Forward

I have been home for a couple weeks now, and I'm re-adjusted to West Coast time and life is pretty much back to "normal," whatever "normal" is!  My Thanksgiving was really good.  It was kicked back and relaxed, and I got to be with some of my favorite people.  Definitely have a lot to be thankful for these days!  It's been interesting getting back into the swing of things.  People actually read this blog while I was gone, so it was like they were right there with me on my adventure, and I have been able to talk about my trip like they were there.  So, thanks for reading this!  I have gone back and forth on whether or not to continue posting here, but it seems like just being home is a poor excuse not to post.  There is still ministry going on, both in New York and right here at home that I'm excited about and I hope you will be too.  There is still a battle raging for the kids' hearts in Staten Island, and they still need your prayers (our prayers) the same!  So, I have decided to make a concerted effort to post here at least once a week or so to keep everyone up to speed.  I will stay in contact with Ray, and as stuff comes up, I'll let you know here.  So, the moral of this story is to stay tuned in :)

I have decided not to go back to NJ this month.  There is a youth retreat that Ray is hosting/sponsoring, and he really wanted me to come back to be a part of that project, but it doesn't work out fiscally, nor does it work out with the worker's comp. stuff I have to deal with here.  There's not much I can do about the WC deal except roll with it and trust God.  Ray needs some help there, but I also know that God can raise up a young lady to come along side him in the ministry that has a heart for Jesus first and the kids second.  Ray is in a unique situation because he is single, especially when it come to working with the teen girls.  There is only so much "help" and counsel he can provide.  Be in prayer that someone would stand in the gap and meet that need in Ray's ministry.  Ray does have a few young men, college age, that are eager and excited to come help Ray and help him establish Edge Impact Inc, which is Ray's ministry.  This is really exciting, and I know from talking to Ray that he is excited about them helping.  But it doesn't help as far as a college age young woman to help with the girls in Ray's youth group.

The plan right now is for me to get through the next couple months and I am praying about going back to NJ/NY in March, and maybe taking a group from church with me.  Spring break seems to be the most reasonable time to go since people aren't in school, and then I will likely stay a while longer to help Ray.  I have also decided, since I am so close to an Associates degree, to finish it up in Criminal Justice.  There are too many credits that I have right now that won't transfer to an out-of-state school, like Gordon, and it seems lame to just flush them, so the Criminal Justice associates degree will transfer, mostly because it's a degree.  I'm going to finish it in criminal justice because one of the programs I'm really focusing on that Gordon offers is the Juvenile Justice Ministry program.  It just makes sense :)  I really feel like this is what God is laying on my heart to pursue, so I'm gonna go at it full tilt.  Like Pastor Mike says in describing me, "110 mph and no breaks."  I might as well live up to it!

There are a couple of prayer needs back in Staten Island.  Aaron is job hunting and is trying not to be discouraged.  He hasn't had any call-backs on applications he's turned in or interviews he's done.  Please be praying that he not be discouraged, and that God would make it really clear where he is supposed to be working.  Aaron is still doing great otherwise.  He is still reading his Bible and growing.  Keep praying on that front too--that God continue to work in and through Aaron.  It may be the change God makes in him that brings Aaron's family to Christ.  How cool would that be!!!?  Jordan also needs our prayers.  Pray for her family.  Things have been a little tense.  Her grandmother, who lives with the family, is in poor health and it has put strain on other relationships.  Also pray for her parent's marriage.  Jordan also has a lead on a veterinarian who has an interest in training his own people, and being a vet tech or vet is one of Jordan's dreams.  Pray that the opportunity would arise for her to get in touch with this veterinarian.  Pray for Ray's ministry in general and for Ray.  The guy often burns the candle at both ends.  Pray that God would provide for his finances and for his energy.  The apartment in Snug Harbor (Staten Island) is still un-rented.  Pray for wisdom for Ray in how to proceed with that whole situation.  He's beginning to wonder about it becoming an apartment for short and middle length missionaries to land. 

Here on the home front, life is great.  I have had several ministry opportunities since I have been home.  From talking to the waitress at breakfast my first day home about Jesus and the importance of being in a local body, to reaching out to the kids back in Staten Island.  It's been really good.  Amy Nicholson and I are in cahoots in planning some street evangelism stuff when she is home on Christmas Break.  We are both super stoked about this opportunity!  Amy is a young lady who was my first "mentoree" back in the day :)  Robyn, who I am blessed to have as my current "understudy" :) is also wanting to get involved in ministry, so she will likely be going out with us.  Those of you in range...ie in the same geographical area that I am, let me know if going out and talking to folks about Jesus is something you are interested in!  The more the merrier! 

I think that's all I have to report currently...as if it's not enough, right?  Like I said, check back every so often- I'd say once a week- and see what's new.  Thank you for reading this thing!  It's a tremendous blessing and encouragement to me~ Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment