Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It's TOO quiet...and other reflections

Well, I'm back in New Jersey, sitting at Ray's.  The jury is still out on whether or not I am excited to be back here....well, at the house anyway.  It's too quiet.  No little people giggles; No snuggles from them when they get up from their naps; no sibling wars over who is louder, who is better at Wii; who's turn it is to do such and such a chore; no morning chaos getting the older two off to school and all four of them dressed, fed and ready to roll...and I miss it.  Don't get me wrong, I miss Jacob and Amy too, but there is something nearly magical about watching a family that size move and function and love each other, and I think first and foremost, it comes from the grace that only Jesus can give, second it comes from great training from parents who love each other and the little people God has given them, but the little people seal the deal.  I really like them...a lot.  And this house, in Chester, NJ, is too stinkin' quiet!  Ah, well....motivation, perhaps to visit this side of the map more often :)  What I am excited for is getting back in the groove of youth  ministry and seeing how God is going to use me for the last week (perhaps) that I have here.  It's been a trip that has pretty much blown my mind, and it's not over yet. 

Aside from the being sick part, even the extra week in Boston was a pleasant and sweet surprise that allowed me to enjoy friendships on a deeper level--to solidify the bond and truly enjoy the people I was with.  I got to hear from Aaron in Staten Island, who doesn't even sound like the same guy these days, and is doing awesome.  He finished the book of John in his Bible, and I sent him on to Acts.  He is excited, and he said for the first time in a long time, maybe even for the first time ever, he is happy.  How great is our God?!  I have to call him again today, given the chance, and catch up with him, but I anticipate that I will get a good report.  Aaron seems to be the young person that God put in my path to really connect with, and that God really moved in.  Although, I have watched him move in the lives of the teens in Ray's church youth as well.  Good stuff has been going on.  God IS moving in this generation of young people.  My prayer is that the apathy and sense of entitlement that they seem to have will be transformed into a love for others and a desire to serve.  I know it's a tall order, but the God we serve is a God of complete transformation, not just of behavior modification. 

I still have a thousand ideas, a heart that feels like it is going to burst at the seams, and that emotional sensation of walking the line somewhere between uproarious laughter and joyous tears.  It's odd, but it is good.  In case anyone wonders, God really does seek to do exceedingly abundantly more than we could ask or imagine.  All it takes is us asking with truly humble hearts and a willingness to do what he lays on our hearts.  I have a lot to pray about, a lot to talk about, and a lot to look forward to with eager anticipation and hope.  It's all about the hope we have because of what Jesus accomplished on that cross and who he has called us out and made us to be.  Don't miss out!  Talk to people so they don't miss out!

Please be praying with me as I consider staying on this side of the map for another week.  There are a lot of things that have to happen in order for me to stay.  I have to get my flight pushed back; I have to get the green light from the worker's comp people; I have to successfully reschedule my appointment with the hand surgeon for as soon as I get home as I can; and I have to be sure it's what God is calling me to do, and not just some great idea I have come up with that seems fun.  I will get an answer from the worker's comp folks some time today or tomorrow.  It starts with them.  If I come home as planned next week, Praise God!  If I get to stay an extra week, Praise God!  It's all his deal anyway, and I'm gonna be happy either way.  But it doesn't hurt to ask him, or to ask you to pray with me.  Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment